Saturday, January 20, 2007


So I have been thinking lately, actually since the USC vs UCLA game I went to back in November, about how growing up I was a UCLA fan and now that I am an adult I am a USC fan. Now I know most of you are wondering how could such a change take place. And this is precisely the same question I have been asking myself. I came to a conclusion a while back but never felt like blogging about it. This actually has to do with growing up. As we grow up we are taught by our parents and we learn specific things from them, some good others bad. While I grew up I did not have my father in my life for a good portion at least. The next best man for the job was my uncle, my mom's brother. He is a great man and taught me much. I would not be the man I am without him. He taught me how to drive stick-shift and shave among other things, all the important stuff. One of the things he taught me was to root for UCLA because it was a better overall school. But for some reason I started rooting for SC a few years back, maybe it was because they are much better now or maybe something else. I personally think it is the something else. When we get to the age of college we start trying differentiate ourselves and find who "we" are. And this honestly got me thinking about how we do this with things other such as faith. There is no bigger demographic that drops of the church attendance list than the 18-24 list. But there is probably no bigger group that goes and cheers for their college team. Well that honestly makes sense. But it shouldn't. We in this new period in our lives need to step up and make that choice for Christ. We need to no longer be wishy washy about our Savior and Lord. It is time we decide once and for all where we stand. You are either for or against him. Where do you stand?

Soli Deo Gloria,
Jon

5 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

good year

Brent said...

Jesus would root for UCLA.

Andrew said...

i agree with brent; trojans are meant for war. Jesus is love.

Insured Asset Solutions said...

You should read Julie's blog about UCLA! Other than that, I'll plead the 5th (and I'm not bitter)!

Jon V. said...

Bitter party of three. For Brent, Andrew and Brian. Also I think since Dallas Willard is a professor for USC and they actually have a religion department God would be for them.