Friday, January 05, 2007

I have long held that the culture in which we place ourselves or find ourselves placed has an effect on how we act, while I believe this to be true. I also believe that one has the ability to overcome such situations and rise to greatness or even change said culture. I just read a very interesting article on espn.com It covered this topic which has seen to become taboo when speaking of certain groups. This article tackles the issue head on and addresses something that must be change.

On top of this I think something needs to happen with all this stuff like the Nugget fight and T.O. spitting in another player's face. Don't get me wrong I love fighting in Sports where it is accepted as a means of handling a situation, i.e. Hockey. But when this is not the accepted form of conduct the player needs to be dealt with harshly. If you act like that in Basketball you should be gone for the season and the team should have the right to terminate your contract without paying you the remainder. That will keep you from fighting. The same goes for spitting in someone's face. The leagues need to deal more harshly with people acting like this. If you act like an idiot anywhere else you can be fired, why not in professional sports as well?

1 comment:

HCS said...

Well said