Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Psalm 23

So I have been reading Psalm 23 lately. Going through it and reflecting on it within my own soul. It has been something that has truly begun to help me find my place in life and relationship with God. I was driving home on Saturday after going to a play with the tag being "A Post Valentine's Day Look at Love." And I a specific part of Psalm 23 came to my mind. It can be found at the beginning of verse 3 "He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."

The part that my soul keyed in on at that moment was "He restores my soul." I know I believe that it my head, but in my heart is another thing. I have just begun to learn to believe that in my heart. Dallas Willard in The Renovation of the Heart tells us that the soul is the deepest part of us. The soul is the core of who we are and that is what God restores (thats my combining Dallas and this verse). God does not just restore your life, he does not just restore you heart or you mind. While he does do those things he does more than that. He restores our entire being. There is nothing that God leaves out when he is restoring us, its all going through the process.

I tell you this not so you think "wow Jon is spiritual" or something else. But so that you will begin here on this day to allow God to begin restoring your soul. Much like when you start with an old rusted car. You have to take the metal down so that there is nothing left but pure metal, all the rust must be gone. We are left with a car ready for restoration. And that is part of what God does in his restoring process. He takes us down to pure metal.

No comments: