Friday, September 12, 2008

Reflections on 9/11

So just a quick hit before I go to bed.

I did some reflection today regarding 9/11 and what has occurred since. And something struck me. Rarely do I pray for the families that have been affected here due to that day and the days that have followed. Lives have been lost and people grieve. But something else struck me. Very very rarely do I and others pray for the families on the other side and instantly some verses came to my mind. Matthew 5:43-45 where Jesus instructs us to pray for our enemies, I assume he meant Al Qaeda and the like.

Matthew 5:43-45 - "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

Just a thought.

1 comment:

Jer said...

Last year I came that same conclusion. That we are to love and pray for Osama and his crew. Of course, within a nation-state context, justice must be accomplished, but on a personal level we are called to love our enemies.

At St. Andrews a couple of weeks ago there was a sermon that sounded close to this subject. The pastor said that we ought to interpret the Good Samaritan story and replace the central figure with something we despise. The Good Terrorist, the Good Illegal Immigrant, the Good Conservative Talk Show Host, etc.

Christianity is a radical religion! It tells us to perform things that are contrary to our nature.