Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Thoughts and Hopefully Yours

So first off I want to ask you all for your thoughts in response to what I am about to write. I've been pondering something and I am curious if others see it the way I do or if I am off base. So lets be at it shall we.

Last night I was having a conversation with a female friend and she was talking about how she has a lot to bring to the table and doesn't want to settle for some random guy. Which frankly kinda bugs me. The reason this bugs me is because I feel if a man were to say this he would be considered prideful and arrogant but if a women says this she is just holding her self with high value. But honestly is it any different? Also as I thought about it I began to notice something about myself; I dislike it when men are prideful (side note: I am a prideful person and I know that but I am working on it) but when women appear prideful it really really bothers me. Not really sure why. Do you guys feel the same way or differently? I think what bugs me about it is that it seems so contrary to the nature of women where in men it almost comes off as a natural thing. Now I have little to base this on other than my gut. Am I off base here? Please note I am not making a moral or ethical judgment here considering all pride is bad. Overall what do you guys think?

3 comments:

carrie d. said...

maybe I'll think a little more about "the nature of women" before I respond....

Jesse Medina said...

I'm having a hard time seeing the pride - maybe it seemed worse in person?

I think its good to not settle for any random guy, but if this translates into "no guy is good enough" whether stated or not, then it is not a good thing.

Corrigan Vaughan said...

There's a difference between being prideful and knowing that inherent worth in what God has created you to be. I think that's good for both guys and girls to recognize. I know a lot of girls who settle for someone who can't meet their needs intellectually/spiritually/relationally and go for whoever gives them the time of day. Likewise, I know a few guys here and there who suffer the same problem. Personally, I think it's a big affront to God not to acknowledge it if you were blessed with having "a lot to bring to the table." I know that I'm intelligent, friendly, and accepting of others. It would be ridiculous of me to date a guy who didn't appreciate those characteristics, or who was so far on the opposite end of the spectrum that I'd have to tone down those things for his sake. It's not pride for me to recognize my gifts. Nor is it pride to recognize when a man isn't going to be able to fulfill my needs and will only detract from my ability to serve God in the fullest capacity.