Saturday, September 06, 2008

1 Timothy 5:8

Currently I am trying to write a paper on which came first, The Gospel of Matthew or The Gospel of Mark. So I decided I would procrastinate.

Today I was listening to a podcast about Men and Women in the church. And the pastor reference 1 Timothy 5:8 which states "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." (NIV). His point was that it was the man's job to provide for his family, even if it requires major sacrifice on his part, including having two jobs.

Now I am not going to interpret this verse for you as I don't feel like it and I feel the verse is pretty straight forward; which means I hope ya'll are smart enough to figure it out for yourselves (yes I just used ya'll and referenced smart people, no I do not see this as an issue). Any how, what I find interesting is I was just talking with a buddy last week about this exact topic and what is the man's responsibility according to the bible.

One issue we came across was that our current society primarily functions as a dual income environment. As we discussed this we wondered if that is due to the fact that we feel the need to have things that we really do not need.

Just some thoughts as I procrastinate.

I encourage you to read that verse and allow the Holy Spirit to move you to action, what ever that action looks like.

No comments: