Monday, February 01, 2010

Slow Down

This is a blog I wrote for the Saddleback Internet Campus Blog (http://saddleback.com/blogs/internetcampus/). So I decided I'd share it with you too.

Slow Down! If you've ever been pulled over for speeding, these are the words you dread. You’ve been caught and you know it. You just hope he wasn’t paying attention to exactly HOW FAST you were going, or maybe he’ll be nice and let you off with this simple warning… Maybe.

In life there is seldom someone telling you to slow down until it's too late. You fill your life till it doesn’t have any space. You are constantly on the go. If you are like me you like the fact that you are constantly busy. You don’t know what to do when you have free time. It is weird to not have anything to do. So when I tell you what I am about to tell you I am also telling myself. Remember how I said we don’t have anyone to tell us to slow down. Guess what? Now you do. SLOW DOWN!!!

When we look at the life of Jesus we will notice he always moved at a deliberate pace that rarely involved rushing to something. He didn’t even rush to save Lazarus from death. I for one think he knew what he was doing. Do you? If Jesus is our example, maybe we should follow his lead.

We need to slow down.

This is a simple habit we can develop that will aid us greatly in the end.. If we put this habit into practice we will be less stressed out, we will have deeper relationship, we will have greater patience, we will see what really matters, and most importantly we will have a better relationship with God.

I know all the practical people out there are thinking “What does this look like or require of me?” It is simple really. Next time you are at the grocery store go to the longest line, not the shortest. Next time you schedule something give yourself more than 15 minutes to get there, i.e. don’t have back to back appointments. Next time you find yourself with an opening in your calendar, use it to relax, whatever that looks like for you (and if you don’t know what that looks like, figure it out). Next time you are sitting in traffic don’t change lanes, just sit there. Next time you are looking for something to do with a loved one go to the park watch the clouds. Next time you find yourself with a day off commit to spending some of that time with God reading your Bible or talking with him (i.e. praying).

Posted via email from jcvarner's posterous

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughts on here Jon! I'm trying to enjoy traffic now and taking the time to calm my anxious spirits as the 405 is stopped. Thanks for the reminder!