Friday, February 12, 2010

Preparing for Success

I just posted this to the Internet Campus blog for Saddleback. 

This week I spent time learning from Peter Scazzero in a large class setting at Radicalis (the Latin term for Roots), a conference we had at Saddleback. Peter is known for writing Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. On the first day he shared with us about setting up Daily Offices. A Daily Office is something monks do throughout the day to call them to prayer. For several years Peter has practiced these in his life and they have had a tremendous impact on his relationship with Christ. Peter encouraged us to add these to our lives as well so that our relationship with Christ might flourish. He suggested we practice three Daily Offices. To do that we would stop, pray and reflect on God three times a day. If you are like me your first thought probably was "How on earth am I supposed to remember to do that three times a day?" As I thought about it I realized something, I needed something to help me succeed at this. I needed something to remind me to practice the Daily Office at the right time. So I decided I would set three alarms on my phone to remind me each day to stop, pray and reflect on God. Each day at 8AM, 12PM and 7PM my phone reminds me to practice my Daily Office.

If there is one thing I have noticed in life it is you can help yourself succeed or fail (Why do you think musicians and athletes practice so much? They want to succeed). In life we need to prepare ourselves for success not failure. And that is what I want to encourage you to do. If you want to pray more find ways to remind yourself, whether it be your phone, Outlook on your computer, or note cards. If you want to know more Scripture then write it everywhere or read your bible more, maybe both. If you want to overcome an addiction get help, don't try to do it on your own. If you want to spend more time playing with your kids get rid of Cable or Satellite Television. I don't know what you want to accomplish in your life but I know with God and wisdom you can succeed. When we combine God's help and wisdom we can succeed at a lot. Setting ourselves up for success is a way of exercising wisdom.

Now may you find power in God and wisdom to overcome or succeed at the task before you. If you want additional tips or help for succeeding at your relationship with Christ check out the Spiritual Growth page.

Posted via email from jcvarner's posterous

No comments: