Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Events - Wise or Directed

Yesterday I had lunch with my friend Jim who works at Saddleback on the college ministry team known as Crave and we had a great discussion about life and ministry. We eventually found ourselves discussing how we should respond when an event has some hiccups. What do you do when you have a snow day event and the forecast calls for rain? Or what happens when you always go to a certain retreat center but another, more "attractive", location becomes available? Now I know most of you are thinking "I'm not in ministry, so this doesn't apply to me." but I think you are wrong. I think it will apply to you and I will try to show you why. As we continued our discussion we framed those questions with another, "Is this something God wants me to do or is this simply a wise decision?" As we posed this question it brought new light to the two examples. If the event is something God wants me to do then I must follow his lead and trust that he make sure it doesn't rain or the retreat will be great at the usual location. But if it is simply a wise decision to have the snow day then we should also act wise and cancel or we should choose the new retreat center. Now don't get me wrong here, both option are equally good; it is okay to act on wisdom when God does not say one way or the other. But before we act on wisdom alone we should probably ask God about it, especially when it is a big decision. So my question for you is where in your life right now do you need to start acting on faith and where do you need to start acting on wisdom? I'm not sure there will always be both in your life but I would guess that there are. Where in your life do you need to ask "Is this something God wants me to do or is this simply a wise decision"?

No comments: