Monday, June 18, 2007

My Pocket Watch

So I recently was given a pocket watch passed down by my father to me from his father. It pretty old, how old I'm not sure how many Varner men have owned it. But it is old enough that it requires that you manually wind the watch all most every day. I really love this watch. I haven't grown up with a lot of family traditions that have been passed on. My family is just not like that, it is very splintered. For example the last family reunion we had was when I was like in kindergarten, if you would like to adopt me and bring me to your's I would love to come and experience the weirdness of family reunions. So yeah as I have recently received this watch from my father it has gotten me thinking.

There are something that we simply must do to survive, just like I must wind the watch each day. While I think the things that come to mind first are our physical needs. But there is something more important that I thing we need to include in our daily lives. Jesus said "Man does not live alone but on every word of God." As we go about our day we need to charge or wind ourselves and I think that part of that comes from God. We need to make time with Jesus essential to our lives, much like the food we intake each day. I know most of us enjoy food every day and even get a little cranky when we don't have it. Should our spiritual lives be any different? I think not. We need to learn to feast on His word. It is essentially how we come to be in relationship with Him. I know we can have a relationship that is not dependent on the Word. But since we have this available to us I think we should on some level immerse ourselves daily with it. I think we need to learn to love God's Word like we love food. So yeah just some random thoughts. As you go about this week May you be aware of your need to wind yourself (and your watch) and that you will actually wind up.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I've never been to a family reunion. I think one side of my family did it once but I was at Vanguard. Although I think Thanksgiving at my Great Aunt's house was practically a family reunion with 75 people.

Brent said...

I've been to my share of family reunions. They're usually pretty crazy.