Friday, December 22, 2006

So I have recently decided to end my letters and emails and such Soli Deo Gloria. Which means "Glory to God alone" in Latin. Soli Deo Gloria came about during the Protestant Reformation along with 4 other Solas.
Sola Gratia - By Grace alone, salvation is not merited by the sinner. It is God's free gift. We can do nothing to earn our salvation.
Sola Fide - Salvation is by faith alone. By faith the believer is justified.
Sola scriptura - The Bible is the only inspired and authoritative Word of God and is accessible to all. It is also has authority above all else. Tradition and the Church do not outrank the Bible as authority for the Church.
Solus Christus - Christ is the only mediator between God and man, and there is salvation through no other. One does not need a priest to confess to. A person needs no other besides Christ to come to God.
Soli Deo Gloria - All glory is due to God alone, since salvation is accomplished solely through his will and action—not only the gift of the all-sufficient atonement of Jesus on the cross but also the gift of faith in that atonement, created in the heart of the believer by the Holy Spirit.

I have even heard that Bach ended his works with this. So I suppose I am following in his footsteps. But as I shared this with one of my professors from last semester he turned me to 1 Corinthians 10:31 "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." Not a bad motto I suppose. I encourage you all to remind yourselves of that each day as well as those around you, that includes me.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Jon



No comments: